Frequently Asked Questions
What is TENS?
TENS stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.
How does it work?
The Elle TENS+ machine consists of a battery-powered, hand-held controller connected by fine leads to four flat pads. The pads are covered in a firm gel that helps them stick to your back. The machine sends small, safe pulses of electrical current via the leads to the pads on your skin. The pulses pass through your skin and into your muscles and tissues. This gives you a gentle tingling or buzzing sensation, which may be stronger or weaker, depending on the setting level.
Is the device easy to use?
The Elle TENS+ machine has buttons that you can use to control the frequency and strength of the pulses. There's also a boost button for you to press with your thumb when you want maximum output from the machine.
How does an Elle TENS+ machine relieve pain?
Tens machines are still a bit of a mystery to us, it has not yet been discovered exactly why or how they relive pain but these are the most likely causes:
- the electrical pulses may prevent pain signals from reaching your brain
- the pulses stimulate your body to release natural, feel-good substances called endorphins
- it can help you to feel in control of your labour
- it may offer a distraction from your contractions
When should I use an Elle TENS+?
It is best to apply the pads and begin using your Elle TENS+ machine when you're in early labour allowing endorphins to build and your body to respond best to the machine. You could alternatively start using it when you're getting regular contractions or backache- whatever works best for you.
How should I use an Elle TENS+?
- Your birth partner can place the pads on your back for you.
- Follow the instructions that come with your Elle TENS+ machine.
- Start on a lower setting and build up the strength as you need.
- Use the boost button at the peak of each contraction and remember to switch off the boost button following each contraction for the best effect.
- Use for as long as it is working for you.
Never use an Elle TENS+ machine under the following circumstances, without talking to a midwife or doctor first:
- Before you go into labour. (it is okay to give it a quick test after 37 weeks gestation so that you feel comfortable using the machine)
- When you’re in a shower, bath, or birthing pool.
- If you have broken skin or a healing scar where you want to place the pads.
- If you have a cardiac pacemaker or a heart rhythm problem.
- If you are experiencing any pain unrelated to labour- it is important you see your doctor or midwife in this case.
What are the advantages of an Elle TENS+?
- You can keep moving around while using it.
- It works with your body and wont directly interfere with your labour.
- You can use it for as long as you want to and easily take it off if you want or need to.
- There are no lasting side-effects.
- It's safe for you and your baby.
- You don't need an anaesthetist, doctor or midwife to help you use it.
- It can be used for a home birth.
- It's portable (think of the eventual car ride to the hospital..) and non-invasive.
- You control it.
- It's easy to use.
What are the disadvantages of an Elle TENS+?
- You may not be able to put the pads in place without help.
- You may find it only gives you relief in the early stages of labour- everyone is different.
- Elle TENS+ cannot be used in water, BUT you can still use it before you get in a bath or birth pool.
- Your birth partner will have to work around the pads if you want massage.
- The Elle TENS+ will have no effect if you choose do have an epidural.
How does the hire process work?
Enter your due date and personal information on our Elle TENS+ hire page and add to cart. Once your purchase is complete we will contact you to confirm your order. We will have your Elle TENS+ sent to you at/as close to 36 weeks gestation (4 weeks prior to your due date). This allows you time to practise using the device or have on hand if your baby comes early. The hire period lasts 8 weeks giving you plenty of time if you happen to go overdue (remember, babies will come when they are ready!) REMEMBER TO KEEP THE MAILER YOU RECEIVED YOUR ORDER IN SO THAT YOU CAN REUSE IT WHEN IT COMES TIME TO RETURN we are SO passionate about limiting waste, so please hold onto it for us, we will then compost it after we've received your return.
How far in advance can I book?
As far in advance as you like!
Im due in less than 4 weeks can I still book?
Yes! please contact email@example.com and we will make sure we have availability. Also be sure to select express shipping when making your purchase.
How do I return my Elle TENS+?
All Elle TENS+ hires include paid return postage. We will email you a return label approximately two weeks before your Elle TENS+ is due back to us. Simply print the label and attach it to the mailer you received your order in (you will have to cut the used adhesive strip off the mailer and peel off the tape to reveal the second adhesive strip). Give the device a wipe down with the antibacterial wipe provided, pop everything into the mailer and into any Australia Post box or office. We will contact you once we have received your device and confirm that it is in working order. If the device is not returned to Hatchling. within two weeks of the hire period and after we have contacted you with a gentle reminder Hatchling. reserves the right to charge the full retail price of $235 to the hirer, the device will then become yours.
I've misplaced the return mailer!
You will need to organise your own return postage, our address is PO BOX 231, Ringwood East, VIC, 3135, Australia
Help! I think I've damaged my Elle TENS+
These things happen to the best of us. Hatchling. expects any damage or loss to be paid for at the full retail cost of $235
Can I have a refund if I do not use my Elle TENS+
Unfortunately not, it is your choice whether or not to use your device once you have hired it. As per our Terms and Conditions we will not provide a refund unless there is damage or fault with our products. This includes the unfortunate circumstances of forgetting to bring it to hospital or not having time to put in on.
My Elle TENS+ didn't take away all of my pain, can I have a refund?
No. It is unlikely that the Elle TENS+ will away all of your pain, especially as your labour progresses, it is used only to provide relief.
Can I share my Elle TENS+ with a friend?
No. You are not permitted to let anyone other than yourself use our devices, if so you will be charged a second hire fee. Also, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, it is important Hatchling. is able to track who has come into contact with our devices for health and safety reasons.
If you have any further questions regarding the Elle TENS+ please contact firstname.lastname@example.org